Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Back Home & Back To The Torch!

We had a really nice 25th anniversary trip to NYC and a great quick trip to S. FL to help my daughter move back north (boy is she going to be in for a cold surprise this winter!!!) and now I'm ready to get caught up on my jewelry and bead orders.  I am also getting caught up on my first Lampworketc silvered glass challenge.  The challenge started about a month ago so I felt I was falling behind so the first beads I made when I got settled after the trips were for the challenge.  I know Sally loves silvered glass, so she will enjoy this post!  The October/November challenge requires use of silvered frit, shards, or twisties.
Bead #1CdC/Kalypso Twistie
Bead #1CdC/Kalypso Twistie - other side
This first bead is made with a black base, the twistie wrapped around and melted in, then random small stringer dots of clear are melted in, reduced, large clear dots applied and melted flat, raised dots of kalypso and all reduced a final time.

This next bead is so shiny and that makes for a bear of a bead to photograph.  So I am showing a few extra views.  This is a really pretty bead - I think!
Bead #2 CdC/Kalypso Twistie
Bead #2 CdC/Kalypso Twistie
Bead #2 CdC/Kalypso Twistie
This second bead is made with a base of sangre, the twistie wrapped and melted in, then I swirled it in a few spots with a clear stringer, small dots of clear randomly applied and melted flat and once back to the shape I wanted I reduced it to the pretty shine.

This next bead has so many pretty sides to show - but it's my blog so I can be a photo hog right?
Bead #3 Cobalt(060)/Kalypso Twistie
Bead #3 Cobalt(060)/Kalypso Twistie
Bead #3 Cobalt(060)/Kalypso Twistie
Bead #3 Cobalt(060)/Kalypso Twistie
Bead number 3 is made on a cobalt base with the twistie wrap, clear stringer dots in specific pattern and melted flat, reduced, then large clear dots melted flat and all given a final reduction. 

This next bead is one of my favorites of the day!
Bead #4 Cobalt(060)/Kalypso Twistie
Bead #4 Cobalt(060)/Kalypso Twistie
Bead 4 has a black base and instead of wrapping the twistie around the bead I applied it in dots - like I do for the raku zebra style bead, melt those in, reduce and cap them in clear.  So easy for such pretty results!!!

Next up, bead #5:
Bead #5 Cobalt(060)/Kalypso Twistie
Bead #5 Cobalt(060)/Kalypso Twistie
Bead 5 is made the same way as number 4 but has a base of silvered plum.  It's nice but the reaction between the glass here is not as nice as the prior bead.

Bead 6 is tied for my favorite bead of the day!  This bead has so many things going on that I had to show all the views I could.
Bead #6 Cobalt(060)/Kalypso Twistie & Cdc/Kalypso Twistie
Bead #6 Cobalt(060)/Kalypso Twistie & Cdc/Kalypso Twistie
Bead #6 Cobalt(060)/Kalypso Twistie & Cdc/Kalypso Twistie
Bead #6 Cobalt(060)/Kalypso Twistie & Cdc/Kalypso Twistie
Bead #6 Cobalt(060)/Kalypso Twistie & Cdc/Kalypso Twistie
Bead 6 has a black base then all remaining blobs and strands of the twisties from my torch session were randomly applied and melted in.  Then I used small clear dots melted in, then reduced the bead and finished with large clear dots in a specific pattern - all reduced one final time.

Bead 7 is interesting but very hard to get a true photo of.
Bead #7 OK455/Aurae Twistie
Bead #7 OK455/Aurae Twistie
Bead #7 OK455/Aurae Twistie
Bead 7 has a white core, encased in clear then the twistie of aurae & OK455 is wrapped around and melted in, reduced, then clear dots in specific pattern melted flat and reduced a final time.  This is just one of those odd beads that looks different in every lighting situation and you never really know what colors you are for sure seeing.  It's very iridescent at times, and other times very opal like.

Well I seem to have another favorite bead.  Bead 8 is in my top 3 for sure.
Bead #8 OK455/Aurae Twistie
Bead #8 OK455/Aurae Twistie
Bead #8 OK455/Aurae Twistie
I used the same twistie as I did in #7 but this time I applied the twistie using the raku zebra application.  This method sure seems to produce the beads I like the most - at least for today.  I reduced the dots of twistie, added my clear and reduced a final time.

This next bead is not part of the monthly challenge using twisties, shards, or frit but I was testing out the OK455 a bit more since it's a new glass for me.
Bead #9 OK455 & Aurae
Bead #9 OK455 & Aurae
Bead #9 OK455 & Aurae
Bead 9 has a base of cobalt, center dots of OK455 and side dots of aurae - all melted flat, reduced and capped with clear.  I like this bead quite a bit!

Now last but not least, I experimented with some beads that were inspired from my "sting ray beads" that I posted a while back after my trip to the zoo to see the new baby elephant.  The sting ray beads have been quite popular with my customers so I came up with a couple more bead styles with a similar feel, yet different.  So, let me know if you like them or not.
That's all for this post - it was longer than I expected.
As always, thanks for reading my blog!!!
Chris
Contact me: chrissandersonbeads@gmail.com
Follow my life of Lampworking: http://beadsbychrissanderson.blogspot.com
Purchase my beads and Jewelry: http://www.artfire.com/users/BeadsByChris
Finished Jewelry sold on site at: SALVATORE CAPELLI SALON 114 W. South Boundary Perrysburg, Ohio 43551 - In the Country Charm Shoppes.
Just for fun: Facebook: Glass Lampwork beads and Jewelry by Chris Sanderson

No comments:

Post a Comment