Monday, February 18, 2013

Memorial Beads - Made From Cremation Ash

I have been working on this special blog post for a while.  These beads are made from the cremation ash from our first family pet, Bailey - a beautiful black lab.  

Ash infused with: pale aqua, cobalt, black and black.

I heard about this process well over a year ago and I was immediately interested in making them.  Because the beads are made from something so special as the ashes of our loved ones who are no longer with us, I wanted to research it in detail before I attempted making any beads with cremation ash, also called cremains.  I decided I wanted to make these most unique and special beads for myself and others.

So what are these exactly and how are they made?  Only a small amount of cremation ash is actually needed to create several beads.  The ash is infused or layered in the glass and the beads can be made into any shape and almost any color can be used.  Some colors work better than others.  The beads are annealed for durability as all my beads are.  Some may decide they want their beads made into jewelry while others may just like to carry them in a pocket or keepsake.

Cremation beads are one of the more popular ways to remember a pet or family member while also bringing comfort to the survivors.  I think they are a beautiful way to honor a loved one's memory.

Update to this blog post August 8, 2013:
Here are more photos of memorial beads that I have made since my original blog post.  I think they are beautiful beads and this is just a sample of colors and shapes that I can create. These are all pendants but there are many options available.  If you are interested in having a bead made from the ash of your pet or loved one, please contact me.  I would be honored to do this for you.













Update to this blog post October 1, 2013:

Recently created memorial beads:

Silvered glass is difficult to capture in a photograph so I'm showing two views of this pendant hoping you will get a good idea of the beautiful colors in the main focal bead.  I had a very special experience making this memorial pendant for a very special person, who I feel gave me more than I could ever have given her in return with this bead.  Each component has a special meaning and all but the pearls contain cremains.



More cremains beads:
The top half of this bead is more pink than shows in the photo.



Update to this blog post November 17, 2013:

Recently created memorial beads:

As I make more memorial beads I like to add them so you can see all the different combinations as well as how they are used.
This set has one larger focal bead for a pendant and a matched pair for earrings.
This teal set is a matched pair for earrings.
Purple pendant on a leather cord
A small sample bead testing a request for a green color.
A small sample bead testing a request for a red color.
Same red but sometimes it can be tricky to photograph so I use a few different backgrounds and lighting.
A small sample bead testing a request for a red color.


Update to this blog post April 9, 2014:

Recently created memorial beads:

As I make more and more of these beads I like to keep updating this post so everything related to Cremains/Memorial Beads is all in one spot.  I continue to be honored to make these special beads for others who are working through their loss of pet, friend, or family member.

It's easy to see that prior beads have caught the eye of my newer customers and influenced their requests for what they would like in their own cremains beads.

Notice the unique components in the dangles.



Side 1.
Side 2.
One of my favorites.


Update to this blog post June 18, 2014:

Recently created memorial beads:
Stars and Moon Pendant
Side 1 - Celestial, tab shape
Side 2 - Celestial, tab shape
Side 1 - Celestial, long tab shape
Side 2 - Celestial, long tab shape
Side 1 - Celestial, tab shape with dichroic
Side 2 - Celestial, tab shape with dichroic
View 1 - Cosmic Swirl
View 2 - Cosmic Swirl
View 3 - Cosmic Swirl
View 1 - Cosmic Swirl, bi-cone shape
View 2 - Cosmic Swirl, bi-cone shape
View 3 - Cosmic Swirl, bi-cone shape
Side 1 - Celestial, tab shape
Side 2 - Celestial, tab shape
Side 1 - Celestial, large, long, tab shape 
Side 2 - Celestial, large, long, tab shape
View 1 - Spiritual Swirl, deep blue
View 2 - Spiritual Swirl, deep blue
View 3 - Spiritual Swirl, deep blue

Thanks for reading my blog!!!  I appreciate your interest in my life of beads.
Chris

Contact me: chrissandersonbeads@gmail.com - to make an appointment to see my beads and jewelry at my home studio.
Follow my life of Lampworking: http://beadsbychrissanderson.blogspot.com
Purchase my beads and Jewelry: http://www.artfire.com/users/BeadsByChris
Finished Jewelry sold on site at:  
1. Mermaid's Bite 472 5th Ave. South, Naples, FL 34102
2. SALVATORE CAPELLI SALON 4105 Chapel Drive in the Levis Commons open air mall in Perrysburg

Loose beads (sets and focals) sold on site at:
1. The Bead Boutique 2015 E. Michigan Ave., Lansing, MI 48912
Just for fun: Facebook: Glass Lampwork beads and Jewelry by Chris Sanderson (Remember to click on the "like" button for updates)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Glass-Lampwork-beads-and-Jewelry-by-Chris-Sanderson/175334185825493

No comments:

Post a Comment