Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Kalypso by Double Helix - And Merry Christmas to all!

I was so excited to get a batch of this new silvered glass at 75% off from Frantz!  This promo came at the perfect time for me to stock up on my color and get to try a silvered glass at an affordable price!  I'm still learning a lot about silvered glass but I think I got some pretty cool results for a newby.

All the beads except the last two in the row have Kalypso in them.  The last two I'm just trying a new light aqua I ordered for another bead order so they have nothing to do with silvered glass test - so we will ignore them today.

These three are the first ones I made.  I used Kalypso as a base rolled in Triton and Aurae frit in all 3 and used either random or specifically placed dots of clear and encasement applications in all 3.  The first bead received no reduction flame at any time - just a neutral flame all the time.  I heard Kalypso is both a striking and reducing glass so I wanted to test it in what is "my totally neutral flame" to see what happened.  Love it!  The other two beads had reduction flame at any possible time I thought it would be helpful to bring out colors and silver.  Way cool!

This bead has a base of Ivory with dots of Kalypso melted in and then center dots capped with clear dots.  It was only reduced at the end.  It does not show in the photo well but the color inside the capped clear dots has some cool pink tones.  This application has some potential but needs some more play time!


This bead is made on a base of Sangre.  Dots of Kalypso reduced then covered with clear.  Raised dots of decoration at the end are also reduced.  I think I am missing something in this application because the colors are "almost" coming up but not quite but if I can get them to come up then it's going to be a really cool bead!

These two beads have a black base.  The first one has random dots and stringger of Kalypso, clear dots specifically placed and was reduced where I felt appropriate.  I'm liking this bead!!  The second bead has center poked dots of Kalypso and the side dots were applied at the same time and melted flat then dotted again at the end to leave the small raised side dots.   Reduction flame used throughout where I felt needed.  Again I'm loving this bead too!

Okay this bead is ugly I know but I put it in for my records so I would know not to use it again because the application is actually one that seems to work pretty good for other silvered glass so I thought I would give it a whirl.  This is a base of ivory with dot's of Sangre then dots of Kalypso right before being capped with clear.  The side dots are also the same application only no dots of clear.  This bead actually looks better in the photo than it does in real life.

Another good attempt but not quite there yet.  Will be playing with this again though to see if I can make it do what I wanted.  Both of these beads have a Topaz base.  The first one has random dots and stringers of Kalypso, reduced then small clear dots placed on top, reduced again at the end.  This produced some nice pinks for sure.  The second bead I added some Psyche frit to the dots and stringer of Kalypso before adding clear dots.  Again this bead was reduced at the appropriate times.

Now this one I'm excited about the pinks that came through!  This bead has a base of Canyon de Chelly.  Dots of Kalypso are reduced then covered with clear then raised dots of reduced Kalypso are on the side for decoration.  Way cool bead!!!

 A lot of my customers like this style of bead so I tried it out with Kalypso and it works just as well as any other silvered glass using this application.  It's simply a black base with a raised stringer of Kalypso that is reduced.  I like an easy bead every now and then!


These are my FAVORITE beads of the day!  I had to give a couple different views because the colors are so cool on all sides.  These are made the same way as the fist 3 beads of today's set but I used Psyche and Triton frit and it produced some awesome purple and blues along with the pink and greens.  Yes I know it looks like I scorched the clear but the actual beads do not have those flaws so it must be in the reflection - but there are a few bubbles but these two beads are just little gems to look at in person.


Another two shot view to show all the different colors.  Black base with Kalypso randomly applied then rolled in Psyche and Triton frit.  Then I placed dots of clear after reducing the silvered glass and melted it all in and reduced one last time.  Pretty cool bead if I do say so myself.

This bead is a base of Kalypso rolled in Gaia and Aurae frit then made just like the beads in the first 3 of today's post.  Produced some really nice colors and would be great for floral backgrounds - if I made those of course.


Last but not least - and I shouldn't have saved this type of bead for the end of my session since it's not the easiest bead to make come out with nice sides when you are tired - but I had to show it because it is so cool!  Base is black and it's made with assorted silver frit that was still left on my marver at the end of the day and I also used dots of Kalypso.  Just made it with the typical disc application to create this type of striped bead.  Will make another one when I'm fresh and alert some day!

Overall it was a fun day working with silvered glass and I can't wait till I can buy some more.  Maybe Santa will bring me some?!?!? 

Speaking of Christmas, I won't be torching for a few days because of all the other holiday things on my schedule so I'll take this time to wish you all a very Merry Christmas! 




No comments:

Post a Comment