Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Testing the Odds - color that is.

I have had some glass that came with my original torch set up that was on major sale when I got it and I have never really known what to do with it so I decided to run some basic tests on these rods to see what they looked like, how they reacted to basic every day applications.  So this is a blog post mostly for my reference and not a blog with a bunch of pretty beads. 

Batches from left to right are:  Moss Agate Pale Odd 791984, Lichen Dark Odd Pastel 791987, Green Olive Dark Odd Pastel 791966, Moon Rock 791811, Green Tapenade Odd Pastel 791963, Swamp Moss Odd 791808, Topaz Odd Transparent 791989,  Lace Agate 91709, Painted Desert 791977

 
Moss Agate Pale Odd 791984.  From left to right: alone, clear encased, clear encased, on a base of Ivory, rolled in Triton frit, rolled in Triton frit and clear encased.  My impression:  A good choice when I want another option for black - not very excited but maybe I'm missing some reaction that could be achieved that I'm not aware of yet.

Lichen Dark Odd Pastel 791987.  From left to right:  alone, clear encased (very poorly encased but it's just a test bead so I kept it,) rolled in Triton frit with clear raised dots.  Impression:  I think this has some cool potential for me.  Also wanted to point out in my records that another bead blogger got a very different result in her test on this glass - so much that I wonder if one of us has it labeled incorrectly or if we messed up our notes (see DJ Sept. 07)

Green Olive Dark Odd Pastel 791963.  From left to right:  alone, clear encased, rolled in Triton frit.  Impression:  I think it has some potential in my organic beads.

Moon Rock 791811.  From left to right:  alone, clear encased, rolled in Triton frit and clear encased, rolled in Triton frit.  Impression:  Clear encasement will be used again!  Also wanted to point out in my records that another bead blogger got a different result in her test on this glass.  Hers had a richer, deeper color so it could be the batch of actual glass or fuel mixture but I liked hers a bit better (see DJ Dec. 07)

Green Tapenade Odd Pastel 791963.  From left to right: Alone, clear encased, rolled in Triton frit and clear encased, silvered Ivory stringer around the center.  Impression:  Way cool application for my organic beads!

Swamp Moss 791808.  Left to right:  Alone, clear encased, silvered Ivory stringer around center.  Impression:  I think it has potential for my organic beads but not totally sold on this one yet.

Topaz Odd Transparent 791989.  Left to right:  Alone, clear encased (DO NOT clear encase this glass as it will crack every time as also noted in DJ Sept/Oct. 07 blog,) rolled in ocelot spots frit and dotted w/ clear, base of ivory with dots of 791989 melted flat then accent dots of black - had to get a little creative in case this bead turned out cool.  Impression:  I like it in a base alone but am concerned about additional layers so am not sure how much I will actually use this glass.  On the last bead the dots of it on the ivory show dark blobs so to be honest this bead reminds me of those candy suckers with odd things inside like scorpions and aunts - so it kind of grosses me out a bit.

Lace Agate 591709.  From left to right: clear encased, alone, rolled in Triton frit.  Now this one I am the most excited about!!!  LOVE this glass all alone for sure!  Has great base potential and is beautiful alone as spacer beads for my organic sets!!! (DJ Sept/Oct 09 also reviews this glass.)

Painted Desert 791997.  From left to right:  rolled in frit (can't remember if it's triton or ocelot spots) then dotted w/ clear, clear encased, alone. Impression:  Not sure yet because another bead blogger got a different result in her test on this glass.  Hers had a richer, deeper color so it could be the batch of actual glass or fuel mixture but I liked hers a bit better (see DJ Dec. 07)

Overall this was a good test day even though the beads are not that exciting to look at.  There are several I want to test some more before I decide if they are going join my "go to glass" categories for certain applications.  And believe it or not, I didn't get through all the "Odd glass" that I wanted to test today so this will be continued after Christmas.  Oh darn, guess I will have to make some more beads ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment