Monday, October 17, 2011

A Bunch of Beads From October 10, 2011

I made over 20 beads on this day at the torch and I have some good notes, some good beads and some not so good beads but I keep track of those too so I remember not to use those combinations again.

I am a huge fan of CIM (Creation is Messy) brand glass and I usually mix it in with other glass but I wanted to try a few beads with CIM only  - to see how their blacks and whites work in applications that I'm used to using Effetre brand.  This first bead I was not sure I was going to like - while I was making it, I noticed an odd reaction and you can see it around the holes of blue.  Well, when I took it out of the kiln I was flipping out - what an awesomely cool reaction!!!!!  The bummer of it all was, the bead cracked right down the middle when I took it off the mandrel.  I hope this doesn't happen each and every time I use this combo and I did try it again (you will see in  a future post) and the beads did not split - thank goodness!!!
Bead 1 - I LOVE the burst around the edges of the circles!!!!
Technical data of bead 1: Base of CIM hades http://www.creationismessy.com/color.aspx?id=17, rolled in silver foil, CIM peace dots covered with CIM caribbean and raised dots of CIM hades.


Beads 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8
These next 7 beads I made so I could compare CIM and Effetre glasses using the application from from the bead above (the one that cracked) and also without the foil. Different whites and blacks react differently so let's see what I found out... 
Data:  Bead 2 - Base of hades (no foil), peace dots covered with caribbean http://www.creationismessy.com/color.aspx?id=101 and raised dots of hades.
Bead 3 - Base of hades (no foil), effetre white covered with caribbean and raised dots of hades.
Bead 4 - Effetre black base, peace dots covered with caribbean and raised dots of hades.
Bead 5 - Effetre black base, effetre white dots covered with caribbean, raised dots of effetre black.
Bead 6 - Effetre black base, peace dots covered with caribbean and raised dots of effetre black.
Bead 7 - Effetre black base rolled in foil, effetre white dots covered with caribbean and raised dots of effetre black.
Bead 8 - Effetre black, effetre white dots covered with CIM journey http://www.creationismessy.com/color.aspx?id=98 and raised dots of effetre black.
So what I have found is that effetre white leaves a cleaner/sharper edge with both of the blacks I used but that awesome reaction is not as pronounced with the effetre glass as it was with all CIM.  I'm very glad that I found out through further testing that the crack in the first bead must have been a fluke.

The rest of what I experimented with today but I will only talk about the ones of interest to my future use.
I don't have a close up of the first bead in this series but it's a base of effetre black with dots of CIM heffalump covered with CIM journey.  The heffalump helps coax out the purple side of the journey.
The second bead in this series is a base of CIM heffalump  encased with CIM journey http://www.creationismessy.com/color.aspx?id=98 with dots of effetre black and effetre white.

Now we'll skip down to the 5th bead in this set.
Base of black with dots of DH 455 melted flat, sm dots of reg. clear randomly applied and melted in, reduced and corner capped with aeither clear - melted flat and reduced one last time.  Pretty cool bead but is a little on the dark side.

I made this bead the same was as the one above only this one has a base of aqua.  This is a pretty cool bead!!!


Another dark one but worth keeping my notes on it!  Same application as the last two beads but on a base of CIM sangre.  I like the way silvered glass reacts on sangre!!!!

This one was tough to photograph as it seems many of the silvered glass beads are.  Same application as the previous beads but used a base of light silvered plum and raised dots of DH 455 that are reduced to a pretty shine.  I don't really think I will use the silvered plum under 455 but I do like the 455 as a finishing accent!



These two beads I'm testing DH OK455 using the Fire Opal Recipe.  The top one has a black base and the clear used is regular on the inside and aether on the final encasement.  The second bead has a base of silvered plum and the reverse use of clear brands.  The silvered plum is not doing it for me with this application either.


These were so cool but neither of the photos really show them well.  I included both backgrounds hoping to show as much of their iridescence as possible.  All 3 are bases of OK455, rolled in triton and gaia frit, reduced with random dots of aether clear and aether encasing.  The last one has a base of aqua that was encased with the OK455 and it is my favorite of the bunch.



And last but not least are these pretty bright pink beads.  I really like these!  I tried the OK455 glass using the bright pink clio recipe and added some frit too and it worked great!  These have white bases, striking orange, clear, OK455, triton and gaia frit all melted in at each level then dotted with regular clear, reduced, encased with regular clear (first bead has regular clear, second bead has aether clear encasing) or clear capped on the triangle sides.


Well that was a long post and I'm not even done catching up.  But I am done for now.  I have at least one more blog post before I'm caught up.  So hang in here with me.  Thanks for reading my blog!
Chris
Contact me: chrissandersonbeads@gmail.com
Follow my life of Lampworking: http://beadsbychrissanderson.blogspot.com
Purchase my beads and Jewelry: http://www.artfire.com/users/BeadsByChris
Finished Jewelry sold on site at: SALVATORE CAPELLI SALON 114 W. South Boundary Perrysburg, Ohio 43551 - In the Country Charm Shoppes.
Just for fun: Facebook: Glass Lampwork beads and Jewelry by Chris Sanderson

No comments:

Post a Comment